Homemade laundry soap is an easy way to switch to a more natural lifestyle. You don’t have to worry about harsher chemicals or fragrances that you might be allergic to. And, the best part, you only need three basic ingredients and a few kitchen supplies to make your own powdered laundry soap! This particular recipe can even be used in High Efficiency washers.
- Washing soda
- Bar soap (either homemade or other natural bar soap)
- Essential oils (optional)
- Grater or food processor
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden or metal spoon
- Start by grating 1 bar soap or pulsing in a food processor until it is finely ground. You can use soap that has fragrance or no fragrance at all–it is completely your preference.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup Borax and the grated soap bar. Wear gloves while handling borax and the washing soda as these can be drying on the skin.)
- Add essential oils if desired and stir.
- Store your laundry soap in an air-tight container such as a mason jar or latching canister.
- Use 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup per load of laundry.
There are chemical differences between soap and detergent. Conventional laundry detergents are formulated to specifically work in washing machines while soaps are designed for skin and are not as strong. If you find your clothes getting dingy, add in 2 to 3 tablespoons of a natural detergent. Also, make sure to clean the inside of your washer every once in a while to keep it from getting a soapy buildup.